Sunday, January 20, 2008

Beer Review: Stone Double Bastard Ale


Russ says: After drinking some regular Arrogant Bastard Ale and really liking it, I decided to try the double. Has to be twice as good, right? Nice deep amber with a tan head. Amazingly, you can smell this thing from about three feet away (ok, maybe a bit of an exaggeration). But seriously, the smell is powerful and it smells like pineapple. Imagine boring a hole in a pineapple and sticking your nose in it. Like that. This beer is all about big in a big way. Sweet. Bitter. Pineapple. Thick. There is nothing subtle about this beer, which is ultimately a real weak point. It was too big. So big in fact I couldn't even finish my pint. If Michael Bay made beer, this would be the beer he would make. 2.7

Laura says: Ditto the above. I guess I'm not one for "extreme" beers, because I felt like I was drinking a pina colada milkshake. Hard for me to review because I was so disturbed by the flavor. But, I can see how people who really like hops would love this beer, because they definitely sing. 2

P.S. What's an "extreme" beer? Take a quick read through this recent NY Times article.

No comments: